Translate

Friday, December 12, 2014

Another Found Story in my Files

December 12, 2009
It’s harder than I thought it was going to be to keep this up.  Some days I am so busy with Dad and little time to sit down at the computer and put my thoughts together. I tell myself these are the days of my life that it’s so important for me to continue…a therapy of sorts.
Since Dad has been off all those new meds he was on when I got here he has IMPROVED so much. There is dementia still but not as bad as it was. He is not as angry. I do notice that he wants to know where I am all the time. I guess I am Dad’s security blanket and that’s fine.
Music helps Dad a lot when he is going to sleep. When he is restless I turn the CD on of the Gaithers and he almost immediately calms down and stops growling in his presleep.
December 19, 2009
Dad has now started to drool….I have him dry swallow throughout the day but he continues to do so today. Actually, he started to do that last night when Michelle was here and was progressively worse until bedtime. He is sometimes non responsive. He continues to see this lady who his associated with a religious man who is trying to get him to join some religious sect. He doesn’t know these people but he is fearful of them
All during the week he thinks he is away from his home on Sherman Street. He talks about how the rooms are configured differently than the house he built. He wants me to hire an exterminator to kill the rats and bugs in the house and became somewhat angry last night when I wouldn’t call someone right now. He said I don’t do what he asks me to do and I do what he doesn’t want me to do……example…getting a security system for the house. This comes and goes.
December 21, 2009
Dad had a good day today but for a couple incidences of hallucinations. He saw a little “dragon” like creature in his sweatpants as he was on the pot. He felt down the legs to see if he could feel and bring it up for me to see. Of course, no such creature to show me. I told him if he could produce it, we could make millions.
I was having cold like symptoms and I decided to lay down about 7pm. I set the alarm for 8:30pm so I wouldn’t sleep past Dad’s bedtime. Out of the blue I hear Dad call my name….WILDA, come quick……there is a car coming through the wall and it’s halfway through. I was awake now but saying that I was not getting up to see a car coming through the wall. He says fine, but you are going to miss it. I did get up as I saw that he was half off the recliner and sitting way down with his legs dangling. I got up to sit him up straight. All the while he is going on about the little people playing the organ, of which there is none in Dad’s house. I told him that there wasn’t an organ and I was not going to play into his story and he said Okay fine, thanks for your help. LOL Go on back to bed then.
He was mumbling to himself there was water all over the floor but he mumbled to himself.

While still in Indiana on December 21st…He was very awake today and talking on the phone to Louise and talked to Nola for a while….all along very alert and animated.

Rod, Dad and I were in the living room and Dad was hallucinating but making some sense……he said there was a lady there in the room….he said he didn’t know her name…and I said, why don’t you ask her what her name is and his reply was, “I guess I am bashful” Oh and my wife get after me.”
OH MY GOD we just laughed and laughed and Dad even laughed at that answer and grinned ear to ear. Oh it was so funny and how I recalled how Mom WOULD have got after him…..she was have said she was Mrs. Invisible and commented how he was busy talking to THE women and she was over there by herself…..and I repeated all that to Dad and he just grinned, seemingly to remember how Mom WOULD have reacted to him talking to “that” woman.

Every day Dad entertains us in some sort of fashion like that.
Earlier in the day we all had eaten at the table….Dad ate well and after dinner I asked him if he wanted any coffee. Oh yes he said, coffee sounded good…. I had some coffee singles of vanilla flavor so I made a cup in the machine for making one/two cups at a time. So I carefully cooled the coffee down for him with some French Vanilla creamer….and stirred it. I got ready to give it to him and told him to take a sip from the straw that we use to ease his swallowing and he asked what it was and I said coffee and he squealed, Ohhhhh I don’t want that and wrinkled up his face at me…..Rod and I both started to laugh because it didn’t surprise us that he had completely forgotten that he even wanted it. I gave it to RodSo we went to the living room and sat for a while, Dad telling stories and then out of the blue he asked where HIS coffee was with his eyes big looking at Rod. OMG, we laughed and laughed.
Dad always had a way of talking that would get your attention. As an 89 year old man with dementia, the intensity of his gestures adds to the dynamic of his words. He carefully chooses his words when he is talking to us. Many times they are precise and using intellectual descriptions.

Dad was sitting on the sofa this evening and he had a busy time moving up and down on the seat saying that he needed to get up to either go check on something or to get over to another part of the room. We would keep a close eye on him to make sure that he didn’t fall. He started to talk about a bus being here with some people and he wanted to go to the front door to see them. I took him over to the front door and he looked out the window saying what a mess it was out there…..soon the concern about the bus diminished and he was no longer interested in seeing it. So he came back to the sofa where Rod helped him to sit down.

Later that same evening Rod was sitting next to him and he was talking about moving things around near the sofa…he had a box of balls….and he says The hell I ain’t….this coming from a man who did NOT cuss, and then said “You people shuffled me around….and blew my mind.” Hahaha How can you not just burst out laughing? He is totally unmoved at the humor of it all sometimes….just as serious as he can be while he still continues to maneuver whatever he thinks is out of order on the couch and in front of him….mostly invisible items.

He has “worked” for a couple hours at “fixing” the area he is sitting in to readjust his surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment