Translate

Saturday, January 1, 2011

So how is he doing you ask?

I have to say that Dad is better now than he has been in a very long time. If I can just keep him from landing on his nose again, it will continue to go well. He really has listened better than he did before he fell I must say. I think he learned a lesson that day. ASK FOR HELP! As most of us near him know, he doesn't do that well. He does now. He even comes to me tangled up in his shirt, laughing, with his arms up in the air, calling my name. It is funny. Sometimes I wonder just now he managed to get in that position when he says he can't raise his arms up in the air. UH HUH!
He can do more now for himself than he did a year ago for sure. I do not waite on him unless he asks. I want him to be independent and do it himself. He shaves, toilets and dresses himself. The only time I help is if he asks me or I see he is struggling. He usually goes to the kitchen in the morning by himself and gets his cereal. He likes cold cereal although I do make oatmeal if he asks. I will make it unasked if it is really cold outside before we go to the Senior Center. I lay his morning pills out on the table each day. He can do the rest all by himself. One day last week he even finished the cereal and went to the fridge and got a piece of Carrot cake that I had made. I laughed when I saw that later because he didn't spill a CRUMB. If he wants to do something he will do it. I am not worried about him falling right now. His balance is better in the last 6 months than it has been in 3 years. He does use the walker at the Senior Center only because there are a lot of people there and he could easily fall if they pushed him accidentally. He also walks the halls and it helps to give support to his back.
He does have that back pain and is due for another shot soon. They really help but when they wear off he has pain when he walks very far.
When we go shopping he has no hesitation to use a motor cart. I don't even have to mention it anymore...he just looks for them.

Just a little story from today...we were watching TV this afternoon. Football of course and Dad and I are going to drug Rod so we can run that TV one of these days, LOL However, Dad falls asleep almost as fast as he sits down on the sofa anyway so it's not really a big deal. I asked Dad if he wanted to go anywhere today....like shopping or out to eat or whatever....he thought for a bit and then said he wanted to go to Indiana....hahaha Funny one Dad....I said, "Okay, so let's pretend.....you are in Indiana right now. You are in your house....now what are you going to do?"
Dad says, "Sit in my chair and watch TV." hahahaha I said YOU are doing that NOW, duh! He laughed and said Yeah, I know. I told him I understand....believe me I do....I was terribly homesick the time I spent 4 months there. I was just a mess and wanted to go home so bad. However, I told Dad that when we were there he had visitors daily for a week...then that wore off fast....and the last month we were there no one came over. NO ONE but a couple people. So I told Dad it was almost better to stay here and visit Indiana....it was more fun and exciting....he thought for a second and said, "You know, you ARE right."
So we waited for Amy to come over and then we all went out to Logan's Roadhouse and Dad had his favorite.....Baby back ribs that falls off the bone with a spoon.

1 comment:

  1. Hey you`re looking pretty snazzy. It`s good to see you looking so well, ya ornery old fart. lol

    ReplyDelete